Friday, December 28, 2012

Called to Serve

So last night Jake's sister opened her mission call and it got me thinking of a lot of things. First of all, Madalyn will be serving in the Japan Kobe Mission for 18 months in the Japanese language. I'm so excited for her. But I don't think anyone is more excited than her dad, who served in the Japan Fukuoka mission. On top of Madalyn, my cousin Kirsten opened her call last week. She will be serving in Boston Massachusetts Mission. My old roommate Aubrey has been called to the Lima Peru North mission and I can assure you there are many, many more. All of these girls are under the age of 21, and they are all going to be INCREDIBLE missionaries. I can't even express my excitement for them, and my joy in their decisions to go.

Jake and I were on our honeymoon in Honduras during October conference this year. We watched it from our resort later to hear President Monson make the announcement that the age requirement for sister missionaries was being lowered from 21 to 19. Our immediate thought was "Madalyn can turn in mission papers." She had never made mention of going on a mission. Yet we talked about it for probably an hour there, and even more when we got home, convinced that this proclamation was going to change Maddy's life. But when we saw Maddy we didn't say a word to her, nor did she say anything to us. It wasn't until a few weeks later that she let us know she had made the decision that she was going to serve a mission. I know that the change in age requirements were inspired for people like Madalyn and Kirsten. These girls have the sweetest spirits. They have such love for everyone they meet and the ability to uplift every person they see. I know they will touch so many lives and I couldn't be more proud of them.

I have had many friends and family members around me serve missions, and many out serving still. I am always so blown away by the progress and commitment I see from each one of those people. It makes me realize how important service is in every one of our lives. I look at these Sisters and Elders who drop everything they have going on in their lives, and give their time and money to go and serve. It amazes me. I am so proud of each and every one of them, and so grateful for their willingness to give all of their time to help.

Since I "waited" for Jake on his mission, I got a really good glimpse into the life of a missionary. I heard from him all the time how hard it was. But he was NEVER willing to give up. He had a lot of LONG days and HARD trials, but he pushed through everything without even a thought. He loved it. Right before he came home I was having an internal battle. I was dying to go on a mission myself, but at the same time knew that I wanted to be here with Jake as well. In the end, Jake won (by a mile). I would have loved the to serve a mission, so I am so thrilled to see so many girls taking advantage of this opportunity. I pray for all the best for them, as well as all the Elders. I can't wait to see what is in store for Kirsten, Madalyn and Aubrey. All I know is it will be one of the best experiences of their lives.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post. My sister is serving in Nevada right now and it definitely is not easy but I love to see the devotion and commitment she has made.

    ReplyDelete