Monday, September 30, 2013

Vacation Fund

A little something about Jake and I is we LOVE to travel. We are very frugal people and it's never hard for us to save money. We are never willing to spend lots of money, unless it means we're traveling the world. In order to do so, we've come up with our own way to save money for travel.


We call it our Vacation Fund.

(I'll including MANY picture of examples of trips I have taken using this technique)

Here's how we do it.

My company pays me twice a month. Every time I get paid we set aside $100 for vacation. (lately it's been more) But $100 is really not that much from each check. I have an account with emigrantdirect.com. This account is just a savings account, and you can transfer money in and out as you please. But by using a separate account, we never even think about that money after it has left our primary account. 

After a year, we have $2400 to spend as we please on a vacation!

Keep in mind, this money is ONLY coming out of my paychecks. Not Jake's. 


Here is another way we do it. 

We picked a trip that we REALLY wanted to go on. In our case, it was a holy land cruise/ trip to Italy. We figured how much money it was going to cost us when we were to book it. We then took the total amount and divided it by the number of paychecks I had left until then and were saving that much each paycheck. Like so;

Say a trip was going to cost $6000 for both of us. Now today's date is Sept. 30. We want to go next September, and we want to book it by July. From now until July, I have 20 paychecks. That means each paycheck I will save $300 and the trip will be paid in full two months before we even leave. $300 may seem like a lot out of each check, but it's a heck of a lot better than $6000 all at once. 

The reason we are able to do this is because I plan like it's nobody's business. I figure out everything months in advance and plan everything. I'm not much of the spontaneous traveler, and because of that, I'm able to save and have it all paid beforehand. 

However, even if we do decide to go on a spontaneous trip. We already have the money set aside from saving each month.
----------------------------------

For our next big vacation we are going to China. (yay!) We've wanted to go for a while and have been shopping around for good deals. We found the one and decided to book it. We're not going until Spring Break... MARCH! See what I mean about my planning addiction. But the trip is already paid in full with money to spend all thanks to our vacation fund!

3 comments:

  1. It also helps you guys don't have kids ;) They get expensive & then vacations stop for a while. Boohoo. From one travel addict to another, congrats on those vacations-- they sound amazing!! I am super jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah no kidding! We're going to have to get in a few big vacations before we have kids. :) Plus, I don't think we'll have much time for travel after that too.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to hear about these adventures!

    ReplyDelete