Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Life Lessons as Taught by a 10 Year Old.

I was outside with some classes today at work. As I was standing watching over the playground, I noticed a girl run past me for the edge of the field. She had a new, very cute haircut, but was pulling her hood over her head as she frantically ran by. I watched for a minute to see her reach her destination at the edge of the field where she sat and began to cry.

I started walking towards her to see what was the matter. On my way there however, I noticed a girl stop to offer her care. I stood and watched for a moment as I witnessed the most profound selflessness and love from this 10 year old girl. There she sat with someone in need, giving her outward support and sincerest attention for a girl not even in her class, or her own grade for that matter. Someone with whom she has very little contact.

As I approached, I quickly snapped this shot before they noticed me there.
I was so touched by this moment of pure love and compassion that I found it difficult to interfere. As I talked with the girl, she told me someone had made fun of her new haircut. She was feeling (understandable) self-conscious and belittled. All it took was a hug and some quiet reassurances from younger, unfamiliar student.

That younger student reaffirmed to me today that there is nothing more important in this life than to offer our unconditional love and services to our fellow human beings. She was a perfect example of what Christ continually taught as He professed, "Love one another, as I have loved you."

Through His example and hers, I know that there is something so irrevocably moving in how we reach out and help those in need, no matter the situation. It is a great reminder that my littlest efforts can make a world of difference to a person's day, and ultimately the feelings they have for themselves and the world around them.

2 comments:

  1. How lovely. Thanks for sharing cousin! (We're cousins now, that's right.) :)

    ReplyDelete